1732 - 1816 (83 years)
If there is an Acrobat Icon below in the Book Reference field, select it to display the book pages
||Sarah Babcock  |
||22 Feb 1732
||Westerly, Washington Co., RI
||7 Feb 1816
||Irish Lot, Historical Cemetery, Middleton, Newport Co., RI
- From: W. L. Irish - Will was proved 3-4-1816; Has Mayflower ancestry, (Denison, Gorham, Tully
From: Susan Irish - 7-21-2002 - PICKNELL@aol.com
I am in Bellingham, Whatcom Co., WA.
There are some problems with the identity of Sarah Babcock, #214, wife of Col. George Irish.
1. First their marriage record is in the Barbour Index listed in Stonington, New London Co., CT so I don't know why W. L. Irish didn't find it. The date is correct.
2. Next, there is no source given for the birth date of 2-22-1732. It may be a Bible record BUT W. L. Irish doesn't say where he got this date.
3. There was a Sarah Babcock listed in the Barbour Index with a birth date of 12 FEB 1732/1733 in Stonington, New London Co., Connecticut. Vital Records of Stonington CT, Vol. 3, page 28. THIS IS VERY CLOSE TO THE DATE used by W. L. Irish; just a "typo" off. The parents of this Sarah Babcock were James and Phebe Babcock of Stonington.
Now - This James and Phebe Babcock named children: Sarah, James, Phebe and MARTHA. Col. George Irish and wife also used these 4 names for some of their children.
(I am collecting all the data I can find on this James & Phebe, which so far isn't very much, as I have not had a chance to read many Stonington records on microfilm. I do know the ancestry of this James Babcock.)
4. Sarah Babcock, daughter of William and Sarah (Denison) Babcock was born in Westerly October 17, 1736. This date is not even close to the date of the wife of George Irish listed by W. L. Irish. The Babcock Genealogy, by Stephen Babcock, says this Sarah Babcock married Robert Thompson. William Babcock died in 1751 before his daughter, Sarah, was married. Sarah (Denison) Babcock, wid. of Wm., married (2) Nov. 5, 1753 Stephen Chalker Jr. (I have not found a will for her; there are reports that she moved to Saybrook, CT)
Below is an extraction of the Will of William Babcock.
[WILL: Dated Jan. 4, 1750/1, pvd Westerly Feb. 4, 1750 p. 251-2; Names wife Sarah;sons: Joshua, Christopher, Elias, Phineas < 21, Samuel < 21; daus: Sarah & Mercy, no surnames. Uncle James Babcock. Capt. Elias Thompson coexor with wife. James, Jonathan & Anna Babcock ch of Capt. James Babcock dec. (no relationship to Wm given) Witn: Samuel Babcock, Ichabod Babcock Jr. & Joseph Crandal. [RIGR Vol 11:152]
5. The obit of Sarah, widow of Col. George Irish, says she died in her 83d year in 1816. This suggests she was born in 1732 or 1733.
Deaths from the "Rhode Island American", Sarah Irish, widow of Col. George of Middletown, at Newport in 83rd year Feb. 7, 1816. Maybe on Feb. 12, 1816 she would have been 84??????????
6. I believe that my ancestor, Sarah Babock, was the daughter of James and Phebe of Stonington and hence I do not have Mayflower ancestry along this line.
Really now, with all the sons Col. George Irish had, wouldn't he have named one for his wife's father??? There was no William Irish but there was a James Irish.
7. Now we just need to prove that Robert Thompson was married to the daughter of William and Sarah (Denison) Babcock; no small task. But I think they can be found in CT, maybe Saybrook.
||28 Feb 2012 |
||George Irish, b. 1729, Middletown, Newport Co., RI , d. 11 Oct 1801, Middletown, Newport Co., RI (Age 72 years) |
||25 Sep 1757
||First Congregational Church, Stonington, New London Co., CT
| ||1. Mary E. Irish|
| ||2. Patience Irish|
|+||3. Martha Irish, b. 8 Sep 1758, Tiverton, Newport Co., RI , d. 20 Jun 1833 (Age 74 years)|
|+||4. Rebecca Irish, b. 1760, Middletown, Newport Co., RI , d. 1838, Hopkinton, Washington Co., RI (Age 78 years)|
| ||5. George Irish, b. 19 Jul 1761, d. 23 Feb 1849 (Age 87 years)|
| ||6. James Irish, b. 1766, d. 18 Sep 1813 (Age 47 years)|
|+||7. Sarah Irish, b. 17 Feb 1766, d. 12 Jan 1804 (Age 37 years)|
|+||8. John Irish, b. 16 Jan 1768, d. 23 Sep 1815 (Age 47 years)|
| ||9. Joseph Irish, b. 1772, d. 16 Apr 1818 (Age 46 years)|
|+||10. Jedediah Irish, b. 23 Dec 1776, Portsmouth, Newport Co., RI , d. 3 Mar 1823 (Age 46 years)|
|+||11. Phoebe Irish, b. 1781, d. 1818 (Age 37 years)|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S137065] DAR ID Number: 122664, The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Volume 123 page 201.
- [S007136] Descendants of John Irish 1629-1963, Willis L. Irish.